Pilley Names and Occupations

Hornshaw and Lindley Middle Names Tradition

Two family middle names have frequently been used in this line of Pilleys since 1803, Hornshaw and Lindley. The first known person with the name Hornshaw was Henry Hornshaw Pilley born in 1804 at Leek in Staffodshire. There are 7 Pilleys recorded with the middle name Hornshaw. A nephew of one of them, Sydney Hornshaw Jones, was living in Toronto in 1908. Hornshaw derives from Ann Hornshaw who married Thomas Pilley in 1787. Only one of these Hornshaw Pilleys since 1804 has been female.

Since 1803 28 known Lindley Pilleys are recorded. The first known Lindley was Henry Lindley Pilley born in 1837 at Warrington. In 1997 there were 18 known Lindley Pilleys alive in the UK, Australia and Canada. The origin of the name Lindley is unknown, however there are 2 hamlets called Lindley, one in West Yorkshire and the other in North Yorkshire. As the Pilley lineage originated in Yorkshire this may be a connection. In all cases except two since 1804 all Pilleys with the Lindley middle name were males.

Tenant Farmers

At least one of these Lincoln Pilleys (Thomas Pilley of Sudbrooke 1832) was a tennant farmer of Richard Ellison, a banker of Sudbrooke. A Settlement Examination LNPS 1/10 P.96 8 June 1832 reports that Joseph Robinson of Scothern, labourer "was hired by Mr. Samuel Pilley to serve Mr. Thomas Pilley of Sudbrooke upon his farm at Langworth ....... under the said hiring until the 1st day of April 1828 when he went to live upon Mr. Pilley's farm at Sudbrooke ....."

White's Directory of 1842 records Sudbrooke as a small parish 5 miles east of Lincoln, having 84 inhabitants and about 1,000 acres of fertile land, nearly all the property of Richard Ellison, the Lord of the Manor of Scotherne. Included in the list of residents is Samuel Pilley farmer and chief constable. A large part of the Ellison family fortune was derived from navigation charges on the Foss Dyke between Torksey and Lincoln. Richard Ellison was the son of Colonel Ellison of Thorne Hall in Yorkshire.

Michael Pilley - Agricultural Inventor 1813

The following is an extract from the "General View of the Agriculture of the County of Lincolnshire" (1813) written by Arthur Young. "Mr. Michael Pilley of Lincoln has invented a water-cart, to take up a ton, by a valve: it moves on two rollers, loads itself, and he thinks that the advantage is very great upon new sown turnips, as it discharges clear of the roller, so as not to daub; - and he thinks that if manure was, for this purpose, converted into a fluid, it would, in many cases, be of considerable utility. Another idea he has, - to construct granaries with a double floor, the upper one like a malt-kiln floor; and by pipes to introduce air through the walls and chimnies to carry it off; this he thinks would tend very much to the preservation of corn".

Michael Pilley - Bank Employee 1816

Michael Pilley (born circa 1790) married Ann Cox in 1818 at Grantham (2 daughters but no male descendants found). His brother, Henry Hornshaw Pilley, born 1804, wrote a letter dated Nov. 8 1816 from Bowes, Barnard Castle, County Durham, to his brother Michael Pilley adddressed to "Banke, Grantham". (The letter will be displayed later) The front cover of the March 1996 journal of the Lincolnshire Family History Society illustrated a Lincoln Bank £1 note dated 13th April 1810; the Employer's signature on this note is "M. Pilley". The bankers' names on the note are Samuel Smith, Richard and Henry Ellison and it is countersigned by Henry Ellison. (A copy of the note will be inserted later)